The South Bottoms Memorial was created in 1997 to honor the pioneers, immigrants and families who made the South Bottoms area of Sioux City their home. This area of the Floyd River Valley was bounded on the north by Third Street and on the south by the Missouri River. The east edge was the Floyd River and the west edge neared Nebraska Street.Despite regular flooding by the Floyd and Missouri Rivers, the South Bottoms was home to many poor working families. Many immigrants, including Bohemian, Irish, Scandinavian, and Mexican families made their homes in the area along with Native Americans and African Americans. Most did not have transportation and lived close to the factories and packing plants where they worked.
The Riverside Park area changed hands many times in the early years of the city. Theophile Bruguier owned the area for over twenty years before selling it around 1880. It was finally purchased in 1890 by the Riverside Park Land Company. Owners included: James Booge, John Hornick, John Peirce, E. C. Peters, and James Peavey. The intent of the company was to develop the land for houses, factories, and railway branch lines. Since many of these men also owned the City and Suburban Railway Company, the prospects for success seemed certain.
On Prospect Hill is a monument erected in memory of three pioneer missionaries. These men, Reverends Jackson, Cleveland and Elliot, were on their way to the west to teach Christianity. All of the members of the Sioux City settlement were asked to attend a prayer meeting on this hill. The monument was built later to commemorate this event.
The Sergeant Floyd was named for Sergeant Charles Floyd, the only member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition to die on trek to the Pacific Northwest. It was a working boat used for towing, surveying and inspection work on inland waterways.
The Peirce Mansion was built by John Peirce as a family home in 1890 for $80,000. The Pierce family lived in the house from 1891 to 1893 when John Peirce lost his fortune in the national depression.